27 August, 2010

Patch 1.1: You got my letters!

Dearest Blizzard,

Oh how I love the little games you play with my heart. First, you give me little zerglings and tell me they are awesome and quick. You regale me with stories of how they are a mighty swarm that can overwhelm my enemies and bring me victory and glory.

Then you give Terrans siege tanks and tell them to aim for the beady little zergling eyes.

And then, when you find me in my room crying into my little zergling pillow, you tell me that you really do care about me and that the Terrans and the Protoss mean nothing to you and that you're just friends. I protest that you're just saying that but you comfort me with promises of "rushes" and "no one's as quick as the zerg". Oh how your words are honey to my ears.

Hopeful, I hatch my zerglings with an innocent glee, confident that your words are true. Then, at my ramp before I'm even out the door, my zerglings eat Terran gauss or Protoss fist-blade-things and I watch in horror as my world of fantasy and lies comes crashing down around me like so many slaughtered Overlords. Oh, I see. You meant the zerg are quick, as long as I completely abandon economy and 6 pool like a cheese doodle. Oh.. I didn't hear that part. I understand.

But then, I find a note slipped under my bedroom door and two things instantly pop into my mind. First, you really do love me and you're taking back all those mean things you said, and second, how did you get into my house?

Oh Blizzard, how you toy with my emotions; cold one minute and hot the next. But I don't care; I know you only do these things to me because I make you. This note proves you secretly yearn for me as much as I do you.

Let's not ever break up,

Apollo


So quite a few changes coming in v1.1 to be sure. Reaper and Zealot rushes becoming a bit more possible to manage and defend against. Definitely a welcome change and certainly a sizable hit to proxy rushing, which is something I always approve of.

Base  and splash damage of sieged tanks reduced from 50 to 35, which upgrades reduced accordingly. This can only spell positive things for Zerg players as your swarms of units will be surviving a bit longer and that might give them enough time to reach those pesky tanks and start munching some metal.
Terrans also took a bit of a hit in the case of Battlecruisers, with a damage reduction from 10 to 8 vs ground units, but I'm not sure how much this will affect their overall performance.

Finally, we come to our precious Ultralisks. These behemoths are either loved or hated, depending on which Zerg player you ask. Personally, I don't put them to good enough use unless the game goes on really long, but when they do come out in significant numbers they're usually a game-ender.

They did become less effective against armored units, but that could be to balance out the Siege Tank nerf. However, the rest of the change I think is a buff in disguise. When I ride in on Ultralisks, I'm not looking to target single buildings. I want wide-spread destruction for my investment and I want it now. By allowing Ultralisks to cleave buildings, I think you're going to see an increase in the speed at which a base falls.

2 comments:

  1. I personally didnt like the 2 gate zealot rush. that to me seemed a little cheesy, but its probably me jsut being aggravated over the fact that i didnt think of it first :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. If someone decides to 2 gate rush me, I almost prefer that it's a proxy cheese play. That way, when I find it and react to it(I always scout around my base and natural now), it's almost an automatic win for me.

    ReplyDelete